Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Lobster Trap Furniture -- Funky!

Our snail mail address is Sunset. The post office used to be one of the smallest imaginable. In "you can find anything on the Internet" spirit, here's a very old postcard:


The placement of the P. O. here, on the right, is not as I remember, so it must have been moved at some point, across the road. A few years ago, it moved again, to the Historical Society:


Even in this incarnation, it is double the size that I remember from the 1970's.

Anyway, this is not about the Sunset Post Office, but about what I noticed this summer on my trips to get the mail. Right in the hall outside the Post Office lobby were these oddly appealing chairs:



Then I saw one in front of the Grasshopper Shop in Ellsworth, and then again on the deck at Pilgrim's Inn on Deer Isle. They are so CUTE! Obviously made of the same coated wire mesh as lobster traps, they have woven pot heads underneath and bait bags on the arms to put your beer or cocktails in! My father loved anything to do with the Maine coast, and proudly acquired a coffee table made of an old fashioned lobster trap. This is the new-fangled version.

The only identifier was a tag for Island Approaches in Stonington, so I made a trip down and talked to two very nice, very Maine ladies who worked in the store. They couldn't tell me much, but the chairs are made by "some fisherman in Scarborough." He's out fishing now, so they won't get any more this summer, and they are selling fast.

These are so original, I just love them! They even come in a delicious array of colors (black, green, yellow, blue, lime, grey, and white, with twine for the bait bags in yellow, orange and blue). The one problem is that they are not so comfortable to sit in. But I am eying one of the little tables (sorry, there weren't any for me to get a photo of), maybe in lime with blue twine? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, as well as other ideas for delights to visit and write about!